Monday, March 16, 2009

Eggless orange almond cake

I am still not confident about my baking skills. But still I did experiments few times. This egg less orange almond cake is from one of such successful experiments. I use recipe from tarla dalal as basic recipe and made some changes as per my taste buds. 

Ingredients
1-1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup powdered almond
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter softened
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/3 cup curd

Preheat oven to 350 degree F
 
Mix softened butter and orange zest in one bowl. Add sugar and mix till the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add apple sauce and again beat well. Then add all dry ingredients like whole wheat pastry flour,baking powder, baking soda and powdered almond. Again mix everything well.

Then add beaten fresh curd. At last add orange juice in batches. Increase or decrease the amount of juice as per the consistency needed.

Pour the mixture in greased cake pan. Bake for 40 minutes or till done.

Notes:-
You can use all purpose flour also. The use of whole wheat pastry flour makes the cake more dense.
Instead of apple sauce, you can use 1 egg also.

You can increase or decrease the amount of sugar as per your sweet tooth. I also recommend to taste the orange juice and decide the amount of sugar as per juice's sourness.

I use freshly squeezed orange juice, and I think it real makes the difference in the taste.

I love the taste of orange zest, so I added 2 tablespoon, because I think that it adds nice little punch in the cake. You can reduce it to 1 tablespoon, without altering the taste.

Event Submissions
This cake is on its way to tasty treat's lets go nuts with almond event, Recipe Center's Recipes for rest of us - Picnic Eats event originally started by Ramki of one page cookbook and JFI - wheat hosted by Roma's space.

10 comments:

Trupti said...

Gopi, cake looks very delicious. THank you very much for sending this recipe for the event. Can you please link back to Ramki's [
http://ramkicooks.blogspot.com/] page?

Anonymous said...

Looks appetizing. The shape is really good too. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe with us.

Poornima Nair said...

Hey Gopi...the cake looks moist and delicious...

Chandani said...

love the cake!!! will get the ingredients on my next grocery shopping trip :)

Purva Desai said...

Cake looks delish, soft, fluffy and moist....

Anonymous said...

The cake sure sounds delicious and healthy!! Using whole wheat flour for baking cake is something I've never done before...and I love the fact that its loaded with almonds YUMM!!

Thanks for sending it to my event :-)

Rekha said...

Looks tempting, healthy and yummy too. Yummmmm

amna said...

for someone who says they are not confident, that looks really good!! :)

Archy said...

wow, eggless cake looks so gud !!

Rajee said...

So delicious cake. Add more grated orange zest for great flavor